Wean to Finish Manager
Cactus Family Farms, a 100% Employee Owned Company, is seeking a Wean to Finish Manager for sites in West Central Iowa!
The Wean to Finish Manager will oversee the production of pigs within a territory, and all elements that affect the well-being and performance of the pigs while growing. They will also, be responsible for all activities ranging from weaned pig arrival until they are delivered to processing facilities, or other customers.
About the Position
(Order of Essential Functions does not indicate importance of Functions)
- Oversee the production of 50,000-60,000 wean to finish. This could include, but is not limited to:
- Contract Growers or Company Owned and Managed
- Assisting with pre-pig placement inspections
- Managing pig inventory
- Perform Site Visit Reports for each site responsible for
- Managing employees where applicable
- Incorporate the core principles of TQA and PQA+.
- Responsible to perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Assist in training caretakers, in regard to, Cactus Family Farms Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and protocols and ensure all appropriate procedures and protocols are implemented by caretakers. This is continuous training as SOP’s change, new medications are implemented, etc.
- Follow all Animal Welfare policies and procedures.
- Responsible for communication to the caretakers.
- Maintain facilities, equipment and machinery in excellent working condition.
- Provide technical direction for animal production and transportation.
- Perform process monitoring and work in a manner that promotes customer focus, teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Identify and communicate process improvement opportunities.
- Take appropriate action to ensure product specifications are met throughout the production and delivery phase.
- Conduct regular farm visits, complete all pertinent site related paperwork, as determined by supervisor, and follow-up with caretaker.
- Coordinate, communicate, and manage internal and external pig movements. This includes weaned pigs, feeder pigs, and market hogs.
- Provide ongoing feedback to Cactus Family Farms and supervisor regarding assigned sites.
- Establish and maintain caretaker relationships.
- Accountable for the inventory at each assigned site.
- Carry out vaccination schedule and manage the on-site pharmaceutical inventory as well as administration processes and withdrawal time.
- Responsible for carrying out the bio-security program as presented by company veterinarians. This would include site, vehicle, and personnel programs.
- Maintain a veterinarian/client/patient relationship with the company’s veterinarians and adhere to their guidelines with regards to herd health and improvement. Also, provide necessary assistance to caretakers, in regard to, proper medication application to provide best health for herd.
- Train caretakers on feed ordering.
- Check for feed quality and submit samples as requested.
- Responsible for performing animal euthanasia within Cactus Family Farms SOP requirement. Responsible for training caretakers on animal euthanasia SOP.
- Responsible for taking an active role in the safety program, which includes following safety procedures, policies, and continued training.
- Responsible for communicating problems/issues to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Able to influence the actions and opinions of others in a desired direction; to exhibit judgment in leading others to worthwhile objectives.
- Able to act in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a systematic approach to decision making.
- Able to work with people in such manners to build high morale, create positive energy, and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Able to establish and carry out specific courses of action for self and/or groups in an independent manner; willing to commit to long hours of work and personal sacrifice in order to reach goals.
- Able to relate to routine operations in a manner that is consistent with existing solutions to problems; to conform to establish policies and procedures.
- Self motivated and dedicated to the company.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- A minimum high school diploma.
- Maintain an acceptable MVR determined by Cactus Family Farms.
- Have extensive knowledge in commercial swine production.
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and related computer issues.
- Be willing to be on call 365 days a year, 24 hours per day.
- Hours of work are expected to be longer than subordinate employees.
- Frequent travel will be required to complete job requirements.
- Be able to communicate in English orally and in writing form.
- Be able to maneuver through narrow walk ways and ascend near vertical stairways.
- Be able to spend majority of work related time in confinement livestock facilities.
- Be comfortable working in close proximity to all age categories of swine (Wean to Finish).
- Be able to lift in excess of 50 pounds moving up to 100 yards repeatedly.
- Be able push/pull up to 350 pounds with a cart on wheels when required.
- Be responsive to visible signs and verbal alarms of animals.
- Be able to walk and stand for longs periods of time on different surfaces.
- Be able to climb different types of ladders including feed bin ladders.
Cactus Family Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers one of the best benefit packages in the industry!
- 100% Employee Owned / 100 % Paid Retirement
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- FSA/flexible spending benefit
- Paid vacation/sick and holidays.
About the company:
Cactus Feeders, Inc., headquartered in Amarillo, Texas, is a producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally, founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is now 100% employee-owned. Our 800+employees produce a million head of fed cattle and 800,000 market hogs annually, with gross revenues of over $1 billion dollars. The company has cattle feedlots throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas with hog operations located in Iowa, South Carolina, and Georgia.