About the position:
As Breeding Manager, you will be responsible to assist the farm manager as needed. Manage and monitor all responsibilities of the breeding department, from employees to the pigs, maintenance and cleaning of department. The Breeding Manager will need to be aware and proactive about meeting breeding goals of Cactus Family Farms.
- Organize breeding/gestation staff to ensure all department tasks are completed within the scheduled staff hours.
- Schedule daily, weekly and monthly department tasks.
- Monitor and assist in the breeding process.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Promote and maintain a team of cooperation within the breeding department.
- Supervise overall cleanliness of department, including proper washing, disinfection.
- Provide feedback to farm manager as needed and when requested.
- Assist farm manager as needed.
- Work with office staff to correct record discrepancies.
- Procure, administer and dispensing of medications and vaccinations accordingly.
- Care and management of animals to ensure that:
- Animals are properly fed
- Water is available
- Sick animals are properly treated in a timely manner
- Overall animal conditions are evaluated and maintained
- Move animals (sows, boars, and gilts) using safe handling practices.
- Ensures timely and accurately collects breeding/gestation data and completes related records
- Schedules incoming gilts and outgoing farrowing sows coordinating with farrowing manager as needed. Managing pig flow and pig density.
- Sets weekly targets; schedules enough breeding’s to meet them, coordinating A.I. and process including heat and pregnancy checks per protocol
- Oversee care and management of facilities to ensure that:
- Fans, curtains, heaters, and other equipment are working
- Ventilation equipment is adjusted to provide proper environment.
- Maintenance and repairs as needed.
- Facilities are kept clean, including power washing and disinfecting.
- Teach and train staff, cross trains in other areas as needed.
- Follow all applicable bio-security measures per Cactus Family Farm policies.
- Follow and encourage all safety rules and practices.
- High School diploma or equivalent; or one to two years’ experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must reside in Iowa or relocate to Iowa
About the Company:
Cactus Feeders, Inc., headquartered in Amarillo, Texas is a producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally, founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is now 100% employee-owned. Our 800+employees produce a million head of fed cattle and 700,000 market hogs annually, with gross revenues of over $1 billion dollars. The company has cattle feedlots throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas with hog operations located in Iowa, South Carolina, and Georgia.
Benefits include flex/FSA, medical, dental, vision, and life insurances, 100% paid company retirement, 401k, paid vacation, education assistance and more!
Cactus Family Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a drug-free workplace.