Sow Assistant & Piglet Care Specialist
About the Position
Scheduled Work Time:
11 Days in a 14-day work schedule. This will include every other weekend working and other weekend will be a 3-day weekend. Consisting of Saturday/Sunday/Monday.
Work Hours: 2 Shifts available for this position
12:00am to 8:00am & 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Check Farrowing sows every 20 minutes. Any sow that does not have a wet pig must be assisted. Via sleeving and use of Oxytocin injected if needed. (Protocol will give more details and direction)
- Drying any piglets that are born and getting them warmed and under heat lamp.
- Walking rooms that have piglets born in the last 24 hours making sure any chilled piglets are placed back under heat lamp and that if a sow gets up and down that piglets are not laid on.
- Checking all piglets that have been born within last 24 hours to insure they have full bellies. Any piglets that do not have full bellies need extra care up to and including split suckling of litter, milking sow and feeding piglets, and finding piglet correct size teat to make sure that they receive colostrum intake.
- Scraping any piles of manure from behind sows that are due to farrow to ensure pigs are born in the cleanest environment possible.
- Communicate with incoming or outgoing Person doing your job to make sure you and they are both aware of what sows are farrowing, what piglets need extra attention and any other concerns in this area.
- Other duties as assigned.
About the company
Cactus Feeders, Inc., headquartered in Amarillo, Texas is a producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally, founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is now 100% employee owned. Our 800+employees produce a million head of fed cattle and 700,000 market hogs annually, with gross revenues of over $1 billion dollars. The company has cattle feedlots throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas with hog operations located in Iowa, South Carolina, and Georgia.